Freak out your friends, co-workers, and family by munching on these yummy but gross looking Halloween witches fingers and you will be sure to scare a few people! I placed a tray of these out at a Halloween party once and people were really freaked but super excited at how yummy they were. When they realized they were just cookies, everyone was munching on them and admiring how neat they were! One of the funnest Halloween cookie recipes you can make. You can also create these types of fingers with many other recipes- one is more of a cheese cracker and tastes delicious as well with an almond nail. So have fun, experiment and enjoy!
Witches Finger Ingredients:
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup whole or large sliced almonds
* 1 tube red decorating gel
1. Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer; gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt, continually beating; refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
3. Remove dough from refrigerator in small amounts. Place 1 large teaspoon at a time onto a piece of waxed paper. Use the waxed paper to roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped cookie. Press one almond into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a long fingernail. Squeeze cookie near the tip and again near the center of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more finger-like appearance. Arrange the shaped cookies on the baking sheets.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are slightly golden in color, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove the almond from the end of each cookie; squeeze a small amount of red decorating gel into the cavity; replace the almond to cause the gel to ooze out around the tip of the cookie. If you don’t want the cookies to look scary, you can also use the gel to make the nails red on the top.