Everyone loves a good caramel apple at Halloween time, why not make yours stand out a bit and be extra delicious while serving a slightly creepy factor that will sure to get the kids excited, grossed out, and hungry once they taste how good these are! A great Halloween recipe to make with the kids too! The recipe below makes 10 Dipped Creepy Carmel Apples, adjust accordingly.
* 10 small apples (red or green are fine), washed and stems removed
* 1 cup coarsely chopped peanuts, crushed pretzels, and mini marshmallows
* 21 ounces (about 75) caramels, unwrapped
* 3 tablespoons water
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces plus
* One scoop of creamy peanut butter
* Large bowl of ice water
1. Insert a 5-inch dowel or popsicle stick into a 5-inch length into the top of each apple. Place chopped nuts, pretzels, and mini marshmellows in a small bowl.
2. Place caramels and water in a heavy medium saucepan, and stir both of the ingredients together over medium-low heat. Continue cooking just until all of the caramels are almost melted, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and briefly plunge the saucepan into ice water to stop the cooking. Stir in the chocolate pieces and peanut butter.
3. Dip one apple into the caramel, coat the top and sides using a spoon. (If necessary, add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make the caramel easier to dip.) Roll the apple’s bottom in the peanuts, pretzels, and marshmallows. Transfer the rolled apples to a serving platter and let stand about 30 minutes or until firm.
4. To make ahead: Prepare apples as directed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.